Rich Pickings

Selected works from the WAG Museum Collection
Date: 
Saturday, 11 May 2019 to Sunday, 16 June 2019

In 1886, Joseph Archibald, a retired police inspector, established the Warrnambool Museum and Art Gallery. Archibald’s eclectic mix of original artworks, reproductions and museum curios were housed in a building behind what was then the Mechanics Institute, in Liebig Street. The Collection includes an array of diverse artefacts including a Polynesian pineapple club made of carved stone, a Zulu girdle and Knobkerrie club, Fijian fish hooks made from mother of pearl and tortoise shell, a small circular box supposedly carved from the coffin of William the Conqueror’s daughter, an early 20th century cigarette tin containing Egyptian mummy wrapping, and Chinese silk lotus shoes fitted for women with bound feet from the Qing Dynasty. Many artefacts are from Archibald’s initial collection, while others were randomly acquired such as Joseph Dalimore’s ‘bits and bobs’ souvenired during the Boer War c1900, and Joseph Jordan’s donation of a sandal thrown at him by a mutineer in the 1857 Indian Siege of Lucknow. This is a great chance to tour the Collection at the time of a Gallery audit to examine, document and record each object.

Public program(s):
Conservation in conversation with the Grimwade Centre TBC
Guided curator tour 6-8pm TBC

Image credit: Minton Heron c. 1880 majolica (coloured tin glaze) Designed by Paul COMOLERA b.1818 Paris, France, d.1897 Marks: P.Comolera/1880/ triangular cypher with a vertical dash (Minton Museum stamp)/1917 Purchased with the assistance of the G.M. and E.J. Jones Foundation, A.L. Lane Foundation, Ray and Joyce Uebergang Foundation, Warrnambool City Council and Les and Elizabeth O’Callaghan.